List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KMail - my old pain
From:       ra1n <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2005-01-04 14:09:35

Zácek Krystof wrote:
> I love KDE. Therefore, it hurts me that KMail is still not usable to me despite its \
> progress. I think I do not require too much:
> 1) Pressing up/down arrow in the message list should display previous/next message \
> in the list by default. This is what EVERYBODY would expect. I know this one can be \
> configured - but it should be default.
> 2) Many users do not like the message preview pane. It can luckily be hidden in \
> KMail. But then again the up/down arrows remain useless and oddly I have to scroll \
> through messages only by left-right arrows!
> 3) Pressing ENTER should open selected message. Hell! It does not and cannot even \
> be configured to do so!
> 4) When viewing opened message, pressing ESCAPE should close it.
>
> 5) Unread messages should be in BOLD font or at least configurable to be bold, \
> italic or whatever.
> I do not mention other things, just those visible to normal users, which cannot and \
> will not configure anything.
> It is a pity that such should stupid details do spoil the user experience \
> regardless to what elaborate features are behind KMail-Kontact. Why Outlook \
> Express, mozilla-thunderbird or Evolution do behave similarly and Kmail does not?
IMHO there is another great problem, accounts configuration, people
should be able to add an account simply, without having to create an
identity, add a transport, add a pop3(or whatever) server in another
tab, and then add to the identity a different transport if this is not
the same as default.
It isn't better to have ONE account entry in the config dialog (or
better in a separate dialog) where you could create/manage every account
detail (name, smtp, pop3 and their options) in one single place?

Cheers,
Luca