List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Taskbar -> tabbar?
From:       Tom Karasek <tom.karasek () student ! uni-siegen ! de>
Date:       2004-12-30 13:58:15

> On Wednesday 29 December 2004 9:31 pm, Luke-Jr wrote:
> > You can easilly replace this by having a 3rd tabbar with windows owned by
> > a particular application. Basically, this would make Konqueror's native
> > tabbed browsing support unneccesary since it would automatically have the
> > same effect.

i'm sorry but i've never seen any "ordinary" user who can handle tabs the
right way. i tried to convince my coleagues to use firefox and tabbed
browsing but they simply don't recognize that you can open more than one page
in one single window. they can't handle a "container" (e.g. a browser) with
more than one piece of content (e.g. some files, maybe stored in tabs). so
the desktop would be the "container" and the running apps would be the
"content"?

in fact, most of the users i know can't handle the taskbar either and
therefore just use one application at the same time (maybe two since there
are applications like messengers that don't appear in the taskbar but as an
icon inside the systemtray).

i see this behaviour every day. people write something with word. then they
close it, fire up their browser, search the internet, close the browser and
start word again to continue working. a lot of them does not even LOOK at the
taskbar - it is "there", and something is "happening in there" (means:
windows appear and disappear and so do they inside the taskbar). but what it
*really* does seems to be a complete mystery to them (original quotes).

maybe there is a need for stronger visual clues (bigger taskbar, maybe with
previews or little screenshots like in kasbar) and better naming of running
applications. i cannot offer a solution here. but i think that the use of
tabs (and especially tabs that contain other tabs that contain other tabs as
well) won't fix this problems but make KDE more complicated and cluttered.

but these are just my 0,02¤... ;-)

tk

ps: and by the way - a happy new year to you all... :-)