List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Taskbar -> tabbar?
From:       Luke-Jr <luke-jr () utopios ! org>
Date:       2004-12-30 2:01:25

On Thursday 30 December 2004 1:49 am, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> Luke-Jr wrote:
> > Modified the "before" image to provide a mockup of what this idea might
> > look like.
> >
> > http://utopios.org/dev/projects/kde/mockup-images/triple-tabtaskbar.png
>
> I like that a lot. A couple of notes:
>
> * I believe tabs should resize to fill the whole screen width (so you
> see more of the window titles).

I agree, except that tabs should chop the end (as shown) if neccesary to
prevent a scroller from being needed (with a reasonable minimum tab width, of
course). This seems obvious to me, but I've seen bad UI decisions made as
enhancement-fixes before so I figured I'd better point it out...

> * in the picture, konqueror has two open instances, so the third row
> shows two windows. But what if a program has only one open instance
> (which is the typical situation)? Should the panel resize itself to two
> rows, triggering the resize of all windows? Or should the third row stay
> blank?

Depends on the user's configuration, I suppose. I have a tabbar in my Konq
when only one tab is open because I figure it won't be single-tabbed for very
long anyway, and keeping it saves Konq from changing the content size (and
moving the top of the page down). I'd keep a one-tab-only 3rd tabbar simply
for that reason.

Also, having a third tabbar always visible also keeps the new-tab button there
for a simple way to start a new instance.
--
Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios