List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Taskbar -> tabbar?
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2004-12-29 22:54:39

Luke-Jr wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 December 2004 10:19 pm, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
>
>>Luke-Jr wrote:

>>>Why decouple it from kicker? You can just add a panel with only the
>>>Task/tabbar in it...
>>
>>I'm not sure how this would look.
>

> The same as a dedicated tabbar, I would expect. Except that you could
> optionally have the Hide button, etc...

>>>I think I'd much prefer a tabbar that doesn't sort, but allows me to
>>>manually rearrange the order.
>>
>>A dynamic sort by recent usage would make it easy to continuously toggle
>>between two windows. Also, to cycle between three windows. Currently,
>>this is difficult if you have, say, 10 windows open.
>

> This is accomplished quite easilly. Resize both windows to use half the screen
> each. :)

Ok but, does this look simpler to you than sorting windows like ALT+TAB
does?

As I said, having small windows gives me the feeling to look at things
through a peephole. :) And some apps don't work well with a small window.

Also, the resizing operation is not pleasant to do. I hate it. Ah, I
really do. :-)

>>I guess the "minimize window" button was invented to make it easy to
>>toggle between two windows, but it is not a good solution IMHO.
>

> Actually, I think it is more for getting to the desktop. It's a bad solution,
> I agree, but as a result I simply don't have anything on my desktop.

BTW, the reason why I think it's bad is that it is not symmetrical.
Suppose I want to toggle between window A and B. If I see A and I want
to see B, I click on A to minimize it, showing B. But then, when I want
to see A again, I have to click on A, not on B.

>>>Very annoying.
>>
>>Why? Your conscious attention can only be focused on one thing at a
>>time.
>

> I generally can do at least 3 or 4 things at any one time.

Only one consciously. :-)

(Unless you want to contradict the whole literature on the topic of the
brain. ;-))

---
Cheers,
Maurizio