List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Sliders and spinboxes.
From:       Charles de Miramon <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2004-12-16 17:55:17

Le Mercredi 15 Décembre 2004 23:51, Esben Mose Hansen a écrit :

> This change was flagged as usability regression by someone who claims to be
> an expert in such matters. He tells me to change the slider so that it can
> no longer be changed to a value above 30 or so, and leave the KNumSpinBox
> as the sole means of adjusting in the upper range. I offered to remove the
> slider alltogether, which was not accepted. I think he partly bases this on
> a assumption that most users would prefer a low number. In practical
> experience from a program offering the same control, people who used the
> control usually cranked it to the max, which was 255, so I'm disregarding
> this as habit.

Thomas Zander is indeed one of our 'usability' expert.

I think the problem around Klipper is larger than the question of  the range
of the slider. Klipper has grown a number of options (especially actions)
that are complex to understand and use and act as a competitor to the drag
and drop mechanism.

The best path in my opinion would be to split between :
 - a very simple basic Klipper with no configuration options
 - a Klipper on steroids for power users with a lot of configurability options
(regular expressions, actions, insane size of klipper history, etc.) that
will be certainly for you more funny to program that the simple version.

The general goal is to diminish the complexity of Kicker and Kicker's applets.

Thak you for posting on this list and we are all very happy that Klipper has
found a new maintainer and some love.

Cheers,
Charles
--