List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Locating the pointer when it is on the bottom of the screen
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2004-12-06 22:36:17

Hello,

It is common knowledge that buttons anchored to the edges of the screen
are easier to click, even if they are small: it is as if the button had
an infinite dimension along one axis. For example, if you have a button
to the top edge of the screen, you abruptly move the mouse vertically to
the top of the screen, to the very last pixel, and then you only need to
adjust your pointer horizontally.

So it is convenient to put panels along the edges of the screen.

The problem is that the bottom edge is not as easy to use as the topmost
one because, if I move the mouse to the bottom of the screen, to the
very last pixel, I don't see the mouse pointer anymore! It is difficult
to understand where I am pointing.

Unfortunately, KDE uses only the bottom edge by default (on all distros
I have tried).

Of course I can move the panel on top, but other people may not be able
to do it, and in general it is a pity to waste a useful edge of the screen.

I thought maybe the problem could be solved by flipping the mouse
pointer vertically when the mouse is on the bottom edge of the screen.
How about it?

---
Regards,
Maurizio Colucci