List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: How about reintroducing ".." in KDE 4?
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-12-02 18:40:26

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On December 2, 2004 7:28, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> So, what do you think about reintroducing ".." ?

no; it was removed for several good reasons, including:

- ".." means nothing. what's a ".."? well, we know because of the command
line, but there is no meaningful literal meaning of "..". my son understands
the Up arrow intuitively as it speaks to its action. ".." doesn't.

- ".." isn't something that is in the current folder. it's a navigation aid
for interfaces that lack navigation interfaces (e.g. the CLI). so listing it
"in the current folder" is completely innacurate. even empty folders would no
longer appear empty.

- an entry in the icon view is easily lost by scrolling away from it

and whether or not it takes up space in the toolbar, the toolbar is there by
default and a ".." entry would take up space in the document area. this is
called "relocating the problem"

as someone else noted, just assign another shortcut to going "up"

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric