List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Zooming improvement
From:       Enrico Ros <eros.kde () email ! it>
Date:       2004-11-27 0:57:55

On Saturday 27 November 2004 01:14, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> Dnia piątek, 26 listopada 2004 11:42, Enrico Ros napisał:
> > Sounds good. But only if you can solve this dilemma:
> >   What does 'Fit XXX' mean if you have 12 pages (4 cols by 3 rows)
> > displayed where the size of each one differs from others (I have pdfs
> > with 'random sized' pages).
>
> In kpdf_experiments if I set 'Fit Width' with 2ppv it takes view (two
> pages) as entity to zoom.

Well, in 2ppv every page is set to fit inside a half of the viewport width.
This means that when dealing with pages with different sizes (for example the
left one is 16% shorter than the right one) every page has a different zoom
factor to 'Fit its width' (let's say 140% for the left page and 115% for the
right one in the example above).

If you set the 'main zoom factor' this will be set to all pages. If you set
'Fit width' or 'Fit page', each page will have a different zoom factor (that
can be equal to others if all pages have equal size). In the "adaptive" case
the zoom factor of the view is *undefined* (well, we can assume it's a
weighted mean of displayed contents).

From the reasons above, you can't have a "snap" when zooming simply because if
left and right pages (or top and bottom pages if not in 2ppv case but you can
see more than 1 page in the view) have different sizes you won't see the
snap.

If you can define that concept (so we'll know how to implement it too) your
suggestion is plain gold :-).

> ps. Where I should put bug report - individually to apps using zooming
> or there is zoom library in kdelibs?

There isn't a zoom library since the 'zoom' concept is not well defined yet. I
suppose we can discuss more on the topic here in the list before posting it
as a Bug.

Enrico