List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: consistency between konsole and konqueror
From:       Lex Hider <Lex.Hider () gmail ! com>
Date:       2004-11-25 22:11:09

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 08:24 am, Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 25. November 2004 21:19 schrieb Lex Hider:
> > I don't know who should follow who, but they definitely should be the
> > same. The reason for this is that I keep finding myself using the konsole
> > tab-next-shortcut in konqueror and vice versa, so you have to adjust your
> > behaviour depending on where you are.
>
> Well, then please tell us how Konsole should differentiate between the
> shortcut Ctrl+C meaning copy, and Ctrl+C meaning SIGINT.

Obviously such things are needed in the konsole.

My chief beef is that the user has to learn 2 sets of behaviours to deal with
tabs in the 2 apps. Do any console apps use/need Ctrl+[ or Ctrl+, Ctrl+.   ?

Currently new tab is Ctrl+Shift+N.

Perhaps a rule of thumb to follow with respect to konsole key shortcuts would
be to simply add Shift to already well established Ctrl+<something>
shortcuts.

[do console apps use such key combos. is there any way to find out info like
this?]
[so please excuse if this idea is really silly and tell me so, I simply don't
know.]
[if not could it be Ctrl+Alt+foo?]

Example:
Konqueror:
next tab:
Ctrl + , or .
Ctrl + [ or ]
new tab:
Ctrl + t
close tab:
Ctrl + w
close app:
Ctrl + q.

Konsole:
next tab:
Shift + Ctrl + , or .
Shift + Ctrl + [ or ]
etc, etc.

At least that way it is somewhat intuitive.

I do realize and acknowledge that key combos in konsole are a harder
proposition and need to be looked at differently so as not to stop the
console applications from being used effectively.

Lex.