List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Initial welcome application info
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-11-25 21:11:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 25 November 2004 01:30, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 25, 2004 at 03:27:49PM +0100, Jan MÃ ¼hlig wrote:
> > When the application starts for the first time, show some kind of popup
> > that gives basic information about what the program does. For example:
> > "This is mindmapping tool that helps you organising and visualising your
> > ideas or argumentations". Many rpms provide this information anyway.
>
> hmm, i'd prefer it to be a tooltip over menu entries. i don't really
> want to start every application just to find out what it does/whether it
> seems remotely suitable for a particular purpose.

something we discussed at aKademy during of our beer drinking, er, i mean,
blue sky discussions was the introduction of a "learning box" that would sit
unobtrusively somewhere on screen that could house standard bits of
information.

this would give it a standard location, make it easy to turn off (important
since its newbyville) and allow for easier access to all SORTS of
information, including WhatsThis.

of course, we also discussed having konqi popup out from behind icons and yell
funny things at users when they get stuck or do the wrong thing. so. hah.
yeah. aaaaah. beer.

--
Aaron J. Seigo