List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Side panel with history
From:       Datschge <datschge () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-11-24 14:41:55

On Wednesday 24 November 2004 08:41, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
[snip]

Konqueror already has a history sidebar, it's just limited to
"internet" files at the moment which makes little sense to me. Since
'most recent folders' and 'most recent documents' lists do exist
elsewhere in KDE it would be very nice to allow the history sidebar
to show all kind of files and folders recently opened, and add a
quick filter akin to the Tools > View Filter plug in for Konqueror.
Also a live search bar like it has been added to many KDE apps after
JuK made it popular might be useful here as well.

> 1. The history list in nautilus cannot be narrowed to show only the
> bookmarked locations. Then you are forced to provide a separate
> "bookmarks" menu. On the other hand, if you provided a button "only
> show bookmarked folders in history panel", you could get rid of the
> "bookmarks" menu. IMHO this would be a major unification and
> simplification.

Yes, good idea.

> 2. The items in the history panel are not first-class citizens:
> they can only be entered; I may want to delete, or move, a folder
> which I see in the history. Currently it is very difficult to do
> that. I have to click not the folder, but ITS PARENT. There's
> something wrong with this concept. There is another reason to make
> the items first-class citizen: see below.

This is not the case in Konqueror's history sidebar, a 'remove entry'
in the right click menu is available there for every entry.

> 3.  Only folders appear in the history. This is a needless
> restriction: you could put RECENT FILES in it too (opened with any
> KDE application). And maybe, add a button to "only show files in
> history panel". This would be IMHO another major feature and
> unification. (It would not be possible until you make the history
> items first-class citizens. )

Agreed.

> 4. The history list (when visible) makes the toolbar buttons
> "back", "forward" and "up" useless. Another great simplification.

Agreed (but not suggesting removing "back", "forward" and "up" in the
default).

Cheers, Datschge