List:       kde-usability
Subject:    ideas for the desktop
From:       Ra1n <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2004-11-23 19:46:17

Following the latest discussion on the desktop and where user files
should be, I've started to think about a new use for the desktop, here
are my ideas:

remove it from the filesystem (it's not a good place to store files as said)
Instead use it like an application, something like karamba, that is able
to show system information,something to manage devices (something that
kde lacks by now, a GOOD thing to manage devices and partitions I mean)
notes, calculator etc etc. AND the ability to put symlinks on it, make
it able to show up OVER windows (using a keystroke), better in a
semi-transparent way (maybe with a squared halo around widget to keep
them visible) and you have a decent tool to manage and organize files
(you can keep you $HOME organized and then symlink folders on the desktop)
What do you think about this?

Cheers

Luca