List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Logout Dialog
From:       Segedunum <segedunum () actuaria ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-11-16 22:41:05

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 12:52:07, Andre Moreira Magalhaes wrote:
> No way, but i believe that the current one is worst than the version i'm
> proposing. IMHO the current dialog is ugly and for end users eyecandy
> matters See http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=16962 to know
> what i'm talking about.

Well, I must applaud you on your work and the effort you've put in. Certainly,
Konqueror has bags of potential in its technology but it is an absolute 100%
road-accident in terms of actually using it. In terms of actually seeing what
sections you can go into that small change is a 200% improvement.

I think you're logout dialogue can be improved, but I think it gives people
some nice clickable buttons that are easy to pick out and click on (obvious
usability plus). It needs to be made consistent with the rest of the desktop,
but I think what it does do has provided some useful pointers that can be
worked on.

The eye candy is subjective, but it does look somewhat better and the use of
icons is something to take into consideration. When you turn off an
electrical device, how many have icons on the buttons to indicate what each
does as well as any text? Quite a few I'm guessing. There's more than enough
here to suggest that the current logout/shutdown dialogue can be improved
along these lines. There's no sense in sticking your head in the sand because
it looks somewhat like Windows XP's logout dialogue - the final version may
take many of these features but look nothing much like XP.

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:11:41, Celeste Paul wrote:
> why was "turn off computer" used instead of "shutdown" or "restart computer"
> instead of "restart" and "end current session" used instead of "end
> session"?

Shutdown *what*, restart *what* and end session *what*? The only thing he
hasn't improved on here is the 'end session' part.

Usability dictates that what you provide should describe actions, yes, but
what an interface should also do is give an indication of what you are
performing that action on and what you can expect should you go for it. Quite
frankly, if that isn't in the Gnome or KDE HIGs then they need updated
because they're less than useless without it.

> shutdown, restart, logout

They're not descriptive enough, and therefore, are not usable. Good
icons/buttons also help much further in describing what they do at a glance.
Even Konqui there giving a wave would be a pretty good indication of what the
dialogue is for?

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:46:17, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> cons:
> -it looks different than everything else in KDE
> -the cancel button and the hyperlink-style buttons are different than any
> other dialogs in KDE
> -it might behave different

OK, it looks different - but does it fit it's purpose? I'd improve it along
the lines of keeping what it has but making it fit in with the rest of the
desktop - and bring back Konqui.

> The Mac OS X dialogs usually look quite cool.

What does the Mac OS X logout/shutdown dialogue look like?

Cheers,

David