List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Logout Dialog
From:       Max Howell <mail1 () methylblue ! com>
Date:       2004-11-16 13:55:51

Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> To be honest, I don't understand why "Logout", "Shutdown" and "Restart" are
> considered more usable than "end current session", "turn off computer" and
> "restart computer". The second (long) version is IMHO less technical and
> even describes better what will happen: when running kde without kdm/gdm,
> logging out from kde will just "end the current session", it will not
> really "logout". Also "turn off computer" is better to understand than
> "shutdown", which is IMO quite technical. Also "Restart computer" is less
> ambigous than "Restart" (the computer, KDE, X ?).

I'd agree that the long texts are more usable. But people who know better than
me write that buttons should have short verb-like texts. And they are
probably right. I'd say you are correct that it should say Restart Computer
and End Session.

> Additionally, your new version with buttons doesn't look cool anymore IMO,
> it looks like thrown together.

I'd have to disagree, this new version looks great and uses widgets that
people are familiar with. It doesn't look thrown together to me in the
slightest.

> So, my advice would be either get the people here agree to your original
> version or just leave the logout dialog as it is now.

This is a nicer version of the current dialog, and it's just as usable, if not
slightly more so since the cancel button is now better isolated from the
other buttons which helps a first glance clarify that it is does not perform
the same kind of function. I'd like to see it committed, and I'm sure the
hoards at kde-look would agree with that one, not that posting it to kde-look
is good democracy.

Max
--
http://www.methylblue.com/