List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Logout Dialog
From:       illogic-al <obennett () hartford ! edu>
Date:       2004-11-16 2:07:40

On Monday 15 November 2004 02:29 pm, Celeste Paul wrote:
> > - Users like eyecandy and are bothered about default widgets. Why do
> > people
>
> eyecandy often gets in the way of usability.  just because something looks
> cool doesnt mean its functional or practical.  i agree that users like
> having a "pretty" interface, but were going backwards if we begin designing
> for looks instead of functionality.
>
> > and i agree that if that is too much eyecandy the desktop becomes
> > unusable. Why
>
> decoration doesnt get in the way of usability if its done right.
>
> > the preferences dialog, but because gnome has much more eyecandy than
> > kde, as
>
> kde is extremely themable.  go look up some screenshots.

He didn't say KDE wasn't extremely themeable, he said gnome has much more
eyecandy, which, whether you admit or not, is true.
> > said before and this matters. So if WE (as KDE developers" want to
> > continue being the number 1 linux desktop enviroment we need start to
> > think about this!!
>
> i dont think its an option to give in to unusable wish-lists.  one of the
> most publicized problems with open source right now is usability (usability
> is becoming one of those high profile technologies corporations are
> starting to pay attention to..).  just because gnome has better graphics or
> window effects doesnt make it a better interface (im not arguing gnome isnt
> a good interface).  sure, everyone likes theming and customability, but it
> shouldnt get in the way of good design and usability principles.

Agreed. I personally would like to see this _not_ implemented, not because of
usability issues but simply because I think it reminds me too much of
windows. After all, if I wanted a windows interface I'd be using XPDE. KDE
has something I view to be a) unique and b) consistent with the rest of the
desktop.
Nevertheless, after reading through a good deal of this thread, with the
exception of Datschge I see no real evidence being brought forth as to why
exactly it's bad except oneliners with no offers/suggestions on how to
improve it. This is a shame really as you've all let your personal feelings
take over and given in to browbeating someone who was trying to help.
> (this argument reminds me of a conversation i had with some linux-kiddie
> running a linux window manager for the interface because it looked cool,
> ignoring the fact it was nearly impossible to use)

And why were you arguing with him over what he chose to use? Just because you
don't agree him? Maybe it's impossible for you to use. Hell, maybe it's
impossible for him to use too, but it's not stopping him from actually using
it is it? If all window managers did were to manage windows, if all toolkits
did were to provide widgets, then linux would be a pretty boring place, i.e.,
just another unix... just cheaper.