List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Logout Dialog
From:       Christoph Wiesen <chris () deadhand ! com>
Date:       2004-11-15 22:47:40

Am Monday, 15. November 2004 23:20 schrieb Celeste Paul:
> its KISS.  a longer description leaves room for more interpretation and
> more confusion.
Well, I don't think so. A longer as in more descriptive text should actually
leave less room for interpretation. In this special case the phrases are very
clear and short and should really be more understandable to non-technical
users.
This is especially noticeable with "shutdown" -> "Turn off Computer" and
"Restart" -> "Restart Computer".
it's obvious and has been mentioned that "restart" is not very clear (leaves
room for interpretation) and "restart computer" is a lot more clear.

> also as zander stated earlier, phrases may translate
> messy.  this also applies to "restart" rather than "restart computer" and
> shutdown rather than "turn off computer".
Not sure what is meant here. Ain't it simpler to accurately translate
something into more languages when you have the option to use more than one
word instead of a very limited space, because the english original only uses
one word? I think thats the case with many languages, but if it's more
accurate to describe something with a single word instead of a short phrase
it's still possible to do that for this language.

> The logout dialog needs to accomodate all levels of users.  Newer users
> might not understand what a "session" is but understand logging out will
> close KDE.  when used with KDM, this will also log them out.
This is a valid point - a session is a technical term and we should think of
something anybody can understand here ("Logout of KDE" or something), but the
same is true for "Shutdown" (way more technical than "Turn Off Computer").
"Restart" has theproblem that it's not descriptive enough imo as stated
above.

Cheers,

Chris