List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Logout Dialog
From:       Celeste Paul <seele () obso1337 ! org>
Date:       2004-11-15 22:20:59

> To be honest, I don't understand why "Logout", "Shutdown" and "Restart" are
> considered more usable than "end current session", "turn off computer" and
> "restart computer". The second (long) version is IMHO less technical and even
> describes better what will happen: when running kde without kdm/gdm, logging
> out from kde will just "end the current session", it will not really
> "logout". Also "turn off computer" is better to understand than "shutdown",
> which is IMO quite technical. Also "Restart computer" is less ambigous than
> "Restart" (the computer, KDE, X ?).

since our current HIG does not address labeling issues I will quote the GNOME HIG:

"Button Phrasing. Write button labels as imperative verbs, for example Save, Print. \
This allows users to select an action with less hesitation. An active phrase also \
fits best with the button's role in initiating actions, as contrasted with a more \
passive phrase. For example Find and Log In are better buttons than than Yes and OK."

its KISS.  a longer description leaves room for more interpretation and more \
confusion.  also as zander stated earlier, phrases may translate messy.  this also \
applies to "restart" rather than "restart computer" and shutdown rather than "turn \
off computer".

The logout dialog needs to accomodate all levels of users.  Newer users might not \
understand what a "session" is but understand logging out will close KDE.  when used \
with KDM, this will also log them out.

--
http://www.obso1337.org/