List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Logout Dialog
From:       Henrique Pinto <henrique.pinto () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2004-11-15 20:18:41

Hi!

Em Seg 15 Nov 2004 17:47, Andre Moreira Magalhaes escreveu:
> I will NEVER design something just because it's more beautiful than the
> other one. What i will do (and this is what i'm trying to) is "try" to
> improve the interface of something that CLEARLY is not good without losing
> any functionality.

I fail to see what is so bad about the current dialog. Let me comment on your
arguments:

1) "The current one uses vertical buttons, that are much more difficult to
handle than horizontal ones (as discussed before)"

Nor Frans nor you have provided any info on why that's true. So I cannot
really comment on this one, except as to give my personal opinion (and I find
vertically-arranged buttons much easier to grasp them horizontally-arranged
ones).

2) "Users like eyecandy and are bothered about default widgets."

Perhaps they should use a different theme? I fail to see why the widgets used
*everywhere else* in KDE bother people when they're in the logout dialog.

--

Perhaps the solution would be to make the dialog themeable, as proposed by
Datschge? I believe it would be a little bit of overconfigurability, but at

But even if I'm the only one who thinks your version is less usable than the
current one and your patch is to be applied, I still have an issue with it.
Please decide whether URLButton wants to mimic a button or an icon as shown
in the Desktop or Konqueror. In case it wants to be a button, then make it a
button. In case it wants to mimic an icon, please make it respect settings
such as double-clicking versus single-clicking or underline always or
only-on-mouse-over. Introducing a new kind of widget that is only used in a
very single dialog (and a very rarely used, let me add) is at least weird.
Personally, I think buttons would be better than icon-like things.

--
	Henrique Pinto
	henrique.pinto@kdemail.net