List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: amaroK's file-browser
From:       smitty () absamail ! co ! za
Date:       2004-11-10 20:31:40

> > > We need an URL-input line because amaroK is network transparent.
> > > E.g. you can enter "ftp://ftp.scene.org/pub/music". There's no way
> > > to reach this URL from your local filesystem tree.
> >
> > Do it like konqueror does i.e. the file path bar is also a URL bar.
> >
> > If you type in a URL its happy, if you type in a file path its
> > happy.
>
> Uhmm.. that's how it works already. You must confuse something :)

Ja not very clear at all, I meant:
Have one multi-purpose input line.

i.e. merge them.

That is based on the idea that one does not need to change the location
and the filter at the same time. But this may prove to be rather user
unfriendly compared to having a seperate filter line.

Perhaps have the filter input line hidden until you click a button
(perhaps in the tab dock on the left but opposite the URL input line)
which then opens the filter below the url input line or converts the
url input line to a filter input line.

I think the filter is not used that much by most people but then again I
keep various files seperate e.g. mp3's in one directory and video file
in another...

Liam