List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror setting favicon in taskabar => confusion
From:       Christoph Wiesen <chris () deadhand ! com>
Date:       2004-11-08 15:29:24

Am Monday, 8. November 2004 15:56 schrieb Lubos Lunak:
> > See my screenshot. I opened an OOo document via the address field of
> > Konqueror. Konqueror and OOo are shown in the taskbar.
>
>  That's a Konqueror bug which has been fixed recently IIRC (at least this
> doesn't happen anymore with HEAD). Konqueror indeed should not be
> pretending the URL open is the .sxw document if it's just showing the
> directory.

I was about to write something along the lines of "that's been an issue for
me, too". But really the problem is (was) the bug that can be seen in the
screenshot - where Konqueror shows the document path and icon instead of the
directory.
That said I think displaying the icon of the current folder or website is
actually helpfull when it comes to usability. I set up several folders to use
different icons for some folder which help finding them on the taskbar
quickly. Same for single or theme oriented MDI Konqueror windows - it's nice
to see at a glance if the opened site is slashdot or dot.kde.org.

I can see the problem for those using Konqueror as their main browser with big
MDI windows though. It wouldn't make much sense for me to have Opera (my main
browser) show a different taskbar icon just because the currently opened MDI
sub-window happens to be slashdot.

But having several checks going on just to see if the icon has to be shown or
not might not be really worth such kind of overhead.

Regards,
Chris