List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Ease of Use Newsletter
From:       Datschge <datschge () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-11-06 17:22:15

On Saturday 06 November 2004 15:01, gorkem@gorkemcetin.com wrote:
> Very simply, I was planning to send usability newsletters related
> to usability discussions around, to the list. IBM has 25 usability
> laboratories, Microsoft has celebrated its 15 years of usability
> history and Oracle has hired 90 usability staff up to now.

All those companies also have countless of marketing personnel surely
having all their company time history and experience at luring
customers around, so unless you cut out their work which is
completely off topic here and just keep the really relevant stuff you
don't need to take their newsletter into consideration. If you think
forwarding carbon copies of companies' advertising letters to
everyone everywhere is really a good idea then please set up a
syndication website, but please don't flood this mailing list, people
here can decide on their own what 'newsletters' they want to get.

> You say that "forwarding some huge external writings without any
> review of its content is an insult". I personally don't find it
> insulting, however I respect your ideas and stop sending
> information without going further.

You can keep sending informations if you think they are worth being
mentioned here. But please just link to stuff or quote parts you
think are worth considering or discussing. Simply forwarding stuff
without any editing and reasoning why just doesn't cut it.

> Just wondering: What is "s/n ratio" ? :-)

Signal to noise ratio, ie. the amount of useful messages compared to
the amount of messages which don't get anyone anywhere. This mailing
list is illfamous among KDE developers for being the mailing list
with by far the worst s/n. I don't think you want to contribute to
that.

Cheers, Datschge