List:       kde-usability
Subject:    view-profiles (was: overdeveloping your software)
From:       zander () kde ! org
Date:       2004-10-27 18:38:57

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 06:24:20PM +0200, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 October 2004 12:00, kde-usability-request@kde.org wrote:
> > Doesn't do that here either; and looking through all the viewing profiles;
> > its not really worth it to keep most of them in the release from a
> > usability POV. ?I mean;
> > a) tabbed browsing opening lots of websites? ?Thats not what a user wants..
>
> Sure ?
> It's intended to show the user that he can use this to store a profile with
> his favourite web pages opened in tabs.

I surely doubt that opening different websites is going to provide that; after
two times most users will just find it annoying and start to wonder why 'stop'
does not stop all tabs (duh.)

I asked somewhere else in this thread to save in the view profile the
'show tabbar when only one tab open'.  What my thought was is that with
the tabbar being open, and the buttons for new tab and remove tab being
plainly visible its intuitive enough.
Looking at normal user behavior as I have observed in my work I am pretty
sure the opening of 4 tabs with very specific-interrest sites (no CNN,
but dot.kde.org!) will irritate a significant group of people.  That simply
is bad usability.

I would think replacing this one with the simple showing of the tabbar with
its open/close buttons will do the trick.

> > b) KDE development as the top entry, this certainly does not belong in a
> > shipped product.
>
> Same as above, but as an invitation to developers :-)

Nice, but this is one of the points that the (former) subject talked about;
features nobody uses and not very well done.
I stand by my opinion that this should go.  It has no place in a desktop
aimed mostly at non (KDE-)programmers.

> > c) filemanagement which goes to 'www.kde.org' ? Thats nonsense..
>
> Uhh ?

I just checked with a clean install and new user;

the simple browser setting does not change much; but when I press 'control N'
I get a much emptier window; so it works partly.
Both the 'filemanagement' and the 'webbrowsing' don't go to the www.kde.org
site;  So I guess the config-conversion scripts just don't do their work
very well. (that, or it got 'introduced' in 3.3.1 :)

This leaves the bugs I pointed out, and the misplaced 2 settings I wrote
about above.

--
Thomas Zander