List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Usability issue - windows disabling ALT-TAB and other basic
From:       illogic-al <obennett () hartford ! edu>
Date:       2004-10-13 18:06:59

On Wednesday 13 Oct 2004 10:59 am, Christoph Wiesen wrote:
> Am Wednesday, 13. October 2004 05:34 schrieb illogic-al:
> > On Tuesday 12 Oct 2004 12:24 pm, Christoph Wiesen wrote:
> > > Here's a usability issue I think is just unacceptable right now. But I
> > > fear it might not be taken very seriously as it involves gaming.
> > >
> > > But basically it's about any applications and what it can do - or
> > > better what it should not be able to do.
> >
> > The example you've given is a bad one. Games should be able to, and
> > _need_ to take total control of the keyboard and mouse. If they didn't
> > this would constitute a usability problem for them. The reason being that
> > you can assign any keyboard (or mouse key) as an action in a game.
>
> Games are the best example I can come up with just because of that - they
> _have_ to "take control" of the keyboard to work properly. But they don't
> take over the CTRL-ALT-F-Keys for example.
> It would be quite annoying for many people if a game could take away the
> possibility to switch to another console/display - but it can't.
> What it can do is completely take away the ability to switch to another
> graphical application.
> In times when more and more Linux user see their Desktop / KDE as the most
> important interface to their computer I think this should just not happen.
>
> So I don't want to suggest to take away the ability to let games use the
> keyboard, I just would like to make sure that users can always quickly put
> the game in the background and do some important things in between.
> Therefor the only bindingy I'd propose should not be accessible to other X
> applications are ALT-TAB and CTRL-TAB - just like CTRL-ALT-Fx are right
> now.
What about people who use ALT-TAB as an in game shortcut?

> My report to bugs.kde.org already got answered by Lubos Lunak though - he
> said it's technically not possible.
> I still don't know enough about the workings of X and the other parts to
> really know where to go with such a request.
> I still think it's important to have basic input methods you can always
> rely on as long as your Desktop Environment is working - no matter what a
> user application might want to do.
It's up to games to implement ways to give up mouse and keyboard control. It
would be nice to have this in fullscreen mode but I know that is already
available in windowed mode for all the linux games I've played (Army Ops,
Enemy Territory, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, UT2004, UT2003) I'd be
surprised if it were not available for DOOM3 as well. Chances are the
original author needs to take a look at his Configuration (or a README).