List:       kde-usability
Subject:    What is a good default?   [was: Re: Absolutely amazing kde style]
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2004-10-08 15:19:30

[ In previous posts: Maurizio suggests Comix as a default style for kde
4, because it is minimalistic, not heavy, unobtrusive, polished and
clear. Brandon replies that a default style should look more familiar,
like plastik, instead of looking so "different". He also complains of
Comix not to be "understated" enough.]

Brendan wrote:
 > On Friday 08 October 2004 10:22, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
 >
 >>I agree this is a common opinion. But an opposite, equally common,
 >>opinion is that a default should make you scream "WOW!". The exact
 >>opposite of "understated".
 >

 > Honestly, I think this is not an entirely valid opinion. If you want
 >to alienate people, sure, the default should scream "Wow!", but I guess
 > you really have to define what you want. For most people, I think
 > Comix would be a bad choice as default.

While using Comix as a default style for KDE may be a bad idea, let's
leave this aside for a while. I think we have stumbled on something
worth discussing.

In the commercial market we observe a tendency to have defaults that are
NOT the most usable and "understated" ones, but the most

1. visually impressive

and

2. visually different

, even if this clearly makes usability worse.

Example of (1):  in Windows etc. there is a tendency to have animations
on by default, even if they slow you down; this is to impress the user.
Software houses know that people will turn them off, but don't care.

This means that, for software houses, a visually impressive default is
preferred to a more usable but "understated" default.

Example of (2): MSOffice, MSMediaPlayer, Pinnacle Studio, Nero Burning
Rom, all feel the urge to have different widget styles.

This means that, for those software houses, visual differentiation is
more important than visual uniformity, i.e. "looking familiar".

---

Where am I getting at? Maybe this mentality could be convenient for KDE
too. I mean, it _may_ be better for KDE to have defaults styles and
settings that are 1. Visually impressive, and 2. look "different". Not
the most usable and familiar looking.

Provided, of course, it is easy for people to switch to more usable
defaults.

Comments?

---
Regards,