List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [patch] Position of 'Close' on Konqueror Tabs
From:       Alexander Neundorf <neundorf () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-10-05 18:03:27

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 12:00, kde-usability-request@kde.org wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Following up the usability discussion two weeks ago [1] I'm pleased to
> be able to offer a patch now. The patch as well as a screenshot are
> available at http://datschge.gmxhome.de/patches/konq_tabs.html
>
> What this patch does is following:
> 1) Separating strictly context dependend stuff from the rest
> -> Rename 'switch to tab' submenu to 'other tabs'
> -> Move 'reload all tabs' and 'close other tabs' into this submenu
> -> Remove all mention of 'tab' in the root menu (since that's the
> context)
> 2) Sorting menu entries strictly by 'destructiveness'
> -> Moving commands changing the least (new, duplicate, reload) up
> -> Moving those changing the most (detach, close) to the bottom

I'm no usability expert, and didn't follow the previous discussion,
nevertheless some comments:

-why is "reload" actually needed at all in this menu ? It's already in the
toolbar (where it is even quicker since you don't have to open a menu).

- I would put "Reload all tabs" and "Close other tabs" directly together, not
separated by the names of the other tabs

-the names of the other tabs don't tell me what will happen if I click them
The "Switch to" is IMHO missing, maybe you can insert it as a "title" in the
menu (as e.g. in the K-menu) ?

-I'd remove the separator between detach an close (two separated menu sections
each containing only one item isn't ideal I'd say).

-I'd move the "Other tabs" to the bottom of the menu ( so that it doesn't
separate the menu entries for the current tab)

Or how about:

----------------
New
Duplicate