List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [patch] Position of 'Close' on Konqueror Tabs
From:       zander () kde ! org
Date:       2004-10-05 12:58:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 12:14:07AM -0300, Datschge wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Following up the usability discussion two weeks ago [1] I'm pleased to
> be able to offer a patch now. The patch as well as a screenshot are
> available at http://datschge.gmxhome.de/patches/konq_tabs.html
>
> What this patch does is following:
> 1) Separating strictly context dependend stuff from the rest
> -> Rename 'switch to tab' submenu to 'other tabs'
> -> Move 'reload all tabs' and 'close other tabs' into this submenu
> -> Remove all mention of 'tab' in the root menu (since that's the
> context)
> 2) Sorting menu entries strictly by 'destructiveness'
> -> Moving commands changing the least (new, duplicate, reload) up
> -> Moving those changing the most (detach, close) to the bottom
>
> Disclaimer:
> While I'm following changes to the frameworks and reading source code
> for years now this is nevertheless actually my first time changing
> c++ code, so please review throughoutly before committing. The patch
> builds and works seemingly flawless in a HEAD CVS build from last
> night on my laptop.
>
> Comments are welcome.
> Cheers, Datschge =)
>
> [1] http://lists.kde.org/?t=109533670700002

I'm wondering about the code (but have not looked at it..)

Are you reusing KAction objects?
If you used KAction objects; then why is it '&New' instead of '&New Tab',
since I see the latter in the menu's.  Are the names not-reused?

On the usability side; I have doubt on the fact that 'tab' is never shown
so its not immidiately obvious that 'new' and 'detach' are about tabs.
Maybe the 'tab' extention should be readded..

--
Thomas Zander