List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RFC: Message Box issues
From:       Jarosław_Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>(by way of\
Date:       2004-10-04 11:30:27

Hello,

There are two issues:
1. Assume you've got a question message

    "Do you want to format this partition?"
              {{Yes}} {No}

We can agree, this is really a mix of warning and question. Currently with
KDE, it's only required to blindly press Enter key to answer "Yes" for this
question because it's highlighted as default. (I've got other cases similar
to this within my own application, like Kexi "Do you want to remove this
database"). Any of such messages are dangeruos if user is too lazy/bored to
think twice :) At least from my experience user lazy/bored users do exist and
so quite often.
The proposal is to allow programmers to set {{No}} button by default for such
cases. This was even already implemented few months before (called Dangerous
option for KMessageBox), but now it's removed.

2. Pressing letters as keyboard shortcuts for message boxes. Currently e.g.
for buttons
            {{Yes}} {No}

there are keyboard shortcuts : Alt+Y, and Alt+N.
The proposal is to add possibility (by default) for presing Y and N keys
(accordingly for Yes and No answer), Alt+ shortcut could remain of course.

Current behaviour:
- is not consistent with Qt-only applications (where Y and N, etc. work)
- is not consistent with windows and MacOSX applications behaviour (where Y
and N, etc. work) and thus is reported as a reason for annoyance by many
former/current users of these

--
regards,
  Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska