List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Blue Sky Ramblings: A KDE Backup tool (or a distribute your
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-10-02 20:14:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 01 October 2004 22.03, Unai Garro wrote:
> I had this same idea a while back and I began coding. Anyone ever looks
> what's in kdenonbeta? :)

Gosh no.  There be dragons.

I am so looking forward to the kdenonbeta reorganisation planned, for
precisely this reason - nobody looks at the stuff in there, because it's too
hard to figure out which bits of it are going somewhere.

> Please look at the kdenonbeta/KeepIt implementation (watch the uppercases
> in the name) and let me know what you think about it. It's still very early
> coding, and not ready to go out yet, but as you can see the app is almost
> working right now. Please feel very welcome to help with the project.

I'll help any way I can, for certain.

> The way it works is very simple. It's based on xml-file "plugins". Each
> plugin describes something to be backed up. For example, e-mail,
> korganizer, kde style settings....  And KeepIt itself provides 4 plugins as
> example for testing purposes.

That's mighty simple indeed.  Very easy to plug new bits into.

> Of course, a restore button is missing right now too, and the thing should
> become a KDE service, and have the gui just as frontend imho

Yup, and as you noted in the addressbook plugin, it's not always possible to
hardcode some of these paths, so a way to create/update the plugins from the
GUI would be good too.

But on the whole, it's a good start, and very much like what I described :)

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org