List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Remove Home icon from Desktop (was Mini usability study)
From:       Ra1n <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2004-09-29 12:11:44

Uno Engborg wrote:
> Ra1n wrote:
>
>> James Richard Tyrer wrote:

>>> Please not "My Documents", M$ probably patented that any way.
>>

>> Why not something like "Personal Folder" or something similar just to
>> make clear that it contains thing related to the user
>

> Probably OK,  but once again we should not try to be different from
> Microsoft just for the sake of being different.  We should
> be different for the sake of being better. If we can't find a way that
> is better, the Microsoft way at least have the advantage of
> being familliar to a large base of potential users.
>

>> And having a "preferences" folder? where programs store personal
>> settings? (maybe with an icon associated, but probably this should
>> mean the presence of some metadata field associated to that file or dir)
>

> I'm not sure a preferences folder is needed.  $HOME could store such
> file just like now.  The preferences should never be manipulated
> manually, but rather by kcontrol that could be reached either through a
> start-here:/// url or from the kcontrol itself in old fashioned KDE
> way.  Users should not have to modify text files to change their
> settings they should have a nice GUI.  True, there are some old
> Unix programs that need to be configured through editing rcfiles in the
> home directory.  However, If the user is knowlegable enough to
> know about these he will probably know how to open his favorite
> texteditor and edit them wherever they are on the disk.
I've spoken of a preferences dir because I think that everything should
remain in the old $HOME, and not add a $USR-HOME like someone pointed
out, I think that as possible the standard unix filesystem Hierarchy
should be respected, so  everythink related to the user (documents,
files and preferences) should go into user $HOME, the preferences dir
could be a KIO for program preferences, for examples it could show an
icon for k3b that clicked opens up k3b prefs...myabe this point needs a
bunch of new APIs, but it could be done.
For an example of a good structured homedir have a look at OSX ones.

Byez

Luca