List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Mini usability study
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2004-09-28 15:18:13

Segedunum wrote:

>On Monday 27 Sep 2004 08:49, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
>

>>- "What are these virtual desktops? I don't understand! They are all the
>>same!" (he thought he would have found alternate interfaces.)
>>

>It's natural that he doesn't understand virtual desktops, as Windows has never
>had them. I rarely use virtual desktops myself (although they do come in
>handy to put something away, rather like dual screen displays), and I think
>they are the preserve of people who multi-task a lot, like developers.
>Perhaps four virtual desktops could be (shock horror) removed by default, or
>the number cut down. I don't think that's a good option, but a way needs to
>be found to get them used and understood adequately. Treating them as dual
>screen displays could be a good idea.
>
>A word of caution. Many people 'have' to use Windows in their lives, so if
>Windows had virtual desktops then they probably wouldn't complain.
>

>>"Why does the taskbar have two rows? The upper one is unnerving to
>>click" (he used to quickly move the mouse to the border of the screen,
>>clicking the very last pixel)
>>

>I don't understand that one at all, and I think we can write that off.

The user said he likes to move the mouse to the bottom border of the
screen, quickly, and then move only horizontally, to find the right
button. Instead, having two rows forces him to adjust his aim also
vertically.

>>he said the taskbar buttons flicker when pressed or depressed.
>>

>I think we can write that one off as well. We could simply be talking about a
>mouseover affect here that Windows doesn't have.

When he made me notice, I too noticed a flicker. Before the button gets
actually pressed/depressed, it seems to exhitate.

>>Where are my disks?
>>

>Store stuff in you Home folder. Don't worry about disks.

he had to open a document on the windows disk.

Mau