List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Proposal for re-organizing konqueror's config dialogs
From:       Sébastien_Laoût "\[temporar\]" <les83plus () free ! fr>
Date:       2004-09-23 16:37:46

Le jeu 23/09/2004 à 18:10, illogic-al a écrit :
> It follows below. Please, feel free to discuss amongst yourselves.

Ah! Very good.
Some points, tough:

> + File Management
> ------- Behaviour
> ------- Appearance
> ------- Previews and Meta Data
> ------- Advanced Configuration
> 	------- File Associations
> 	------- Performance

Why add an "Advanced" sub-tree where there is only two pages in it ?
They are not so advanced.
I would prefer a flatter thing, since humans are not so good at browsing
a tree (see KControl) and the flat config only add one item to the File
Management section (+2-1=+1) :

+ File Management
------- Behaviour
------- Appearance
------- Previews and Meta Data
------- File Associations
------- Performance

> + Web Browsing
> ------- Web Behaviour
> ------- Web Fonts
> ------- Plugins
> ------- Java & Javascript
> ------- Privacy
> 	------- History
> 	------- Cookies
> 	------- Cache
> 	------- Proxy?
> ------- Advanced Configuration
> 	------- Browser Identification
> 	------- Web Shortcuts
> 	------- Stylesheets
> 	------- Security

AFAICS it's fine.
Security in Privacy ? Perhapse it's more relevant here.
And Proxy in Advanced, since not a lot of peoples need poxy settings
(only corporations, etc...) and it's not privacy.

IMHO, a good start is to take FireFox : it's very light and simple to
configure and it also allow powerful things.

And where is the "Common" root category ?
I think there are settings that apply to both.
Not really digged deeply in that, tough.

I've read (don't know where) that next KDE will have a plugins manager
(yeah: really needed). It does at least one item to put in!

Have a nice day.