List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Position of 'Close' on Konqueror Tabs
From:       Kai Wetzel <kai.wetzel1 () freenet ! de>
Date:       2004-09-20 8:48:33

On Monday 20 September 2004 03:20 am, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 09:19:32PM -0400, Kai Wetzel wrote:
> > On Saturday 18 September 2004 11:28 am, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > > Right, makes sense;  but you will agree with me that this only makes
> > > sense if all KDE applications already _are_  reconfigured to have
> > > close/quit moved in the menus.  Right now having it at the bottom is
> > > best; don't you agree?
> >
> > Since I guess "solving" the quit/close issue is not feasible in the
> > short- (or mid-) term I think having Close at the bottom, or at least not
> > having Close Other Tabs there is a good idea, _but_ and that's a
> > show-stopper for me:
> >
> > It moves one of the most often used items to the very bottom of the menu,
> > where it's significantly harder to reach for menu people
>
> First; I'm not sure thats even the case;

Well, beyond about 6 or seven items, it's certainly harder for me, as I never
quite go rid of the habit to drag the mouse (like it it used to be on the Mac)
But maybe it's a tiny minority, I didn't ask anybody else about this. (Oh, and
I'm one of those lunatics who move the mouse around with two fingers, too,
which makes it easy to push away but way harder to pull)

> and secod; you agree that its not
> feasible to change it for all application, and then go ahead and change it
> for this one anyway; without regards for consistency.

Then I wasn't clear, sorry. Even though I'd like to, I do not suggest to
change it for any application - in the main menu - but consider the context
menu a differnet story, governed by other constraints (such as how to
operate it most quickly). And yes, ideally not have an often used item at the
bottom, for _any_ application :°)
Consistency is certainly a plus of putting it at the bottom, especially
since other browsers like Firefox do it this way, not _so_ much because
it tends to be at the bottom in the Location/File _main_ menu.

As a general solution to make the context menu quicker to operate
I propose the fowllowing:
Create a special entry at the top, which contains the most recently used
command for this kind of context (such as tabs, links, etc.) which would
make repetitive tasks much easier to do, like closing multiple (but not all)
tabs in this case. I'd say that this items would easily be understood and
used (by people who use the context menu anyway), though some user
testing is in order when dynamic changes to the UI are being suggested,
of course.

Best regards,
kai