List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Windows-key: Please don't blindly copy Windows
From:       Roland Seuhs <roland () wertkarten ! net>
Date:       2004-09-16 9:14:45

Am Mittwoch, 15. September 2004 12:43 schrieb Lubos Lunak:
> On Tuesday 14 of September 2004 23:38, Roland Seuhs wrote:
> > Please forgive my rant.
> >
> > So KDE3.3 is actually FARTHER AWAY from Windows-behaviour.
> > In Windows, the Windows-key can be used to do at least 20 different
> > tasks.In KDE 3.3 just one.
>
> Actually the 4th modifier key works fine here. Your keyboard map has probably
> just broken the mapping of this key. If you turn NumLock on (which will
> disable this K-Menu feature due to a bug), your shortcuts using the 4th
> modifier will be very likely still broken. Can you check?

Yes, I just made a clean install of KDE3.3 on SuSE9.1 and now the Windows-key works \
for shortcuts...

Previously, KDE wouldn't even accept any Windows-shortcuts in the kcontrol-shortcuts \
module.

NumLock removes the ability of popping up the K-menu, but the shortcuts still work.

My apologies for the rant, but the behaviour in kcontrol and the various bugreports \
made me believe all this was intentional.

> > I personally don't think that just because it's in Windows it must be
> > right, (doing something because a modifier-key is pressed and nothing else
> > is wrong. I also wouldn't want that "Ctrl" or "Alt" would launch any menus)
>
> Actually Alt alone activates the menubar if I'm not mistaken, doesn't it?

True, actually this behaviour also caused quite some problems because it steals the \
focus.

Interestingly, Alt doesn't work in KMail's "compose message" windows, but works fine \
in it's main window.

Thanks a lot for clearing that up for me,

Roland