List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: HIG: Systray apps: systray screenshot
From:       Datschge <datschge () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-09-15 23:16:44

On Wednesday 15 September 2004 19:46, Sébastien Laoût [temporar]
wrote:
> Someone mailed me to suggest that, in addition to or instead of
> using a red circle, the area around the proper SysTray icon could
> be desaturated, helping bring it into sharper focus.
>
> Don't know if it is easily possible to program.
> Is it increase usability?
> What do you think about it?

Well, ideal highlighting across many possible custom color and style
setting is hard to achieve. The current red circle may be hard to see
when everything else is red as well, the systray icon being
desaturated may not be noticeable when the original icon is already
lacking saturation, or the whole desktop look is completely saturated
already. One way or another every approach might have edge cases were
they aren't optimal.

My personal suggestion would be: keep the current circle, maybe use
the users custom highlighting color as color for the circle, and
possibly add a large arrow (white with black border or vice versa)
pointing to the circle. And/or show the icon used in the systray in
the text above the screenshot as well.

Cheers, Datschge