List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: About Ark
From:       Thomas Zander <TZander () factotummedia ! nl>
Date:       2004-09-10 7:10:57

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 06:47:23PM -0300, Henrique Pinto wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm consider doing some changes to Ark, but I'm not sure if they would be good
> or not usability-wise. Could someone please give me some advice on the issues
> below?
>
> Issue 1: Having a fixed set of columns
> 	Currently, the columns Ark displays are dependant on the archive type. For
> 	example, the CRC column is shown for ZIP files, but not for tarballs. I would
> 	like to have a fixed set of columns, regardless of the archive type. I don't
> 	think many users care about CRC or compression methods, so having
> 	less columns will mean having less "noise" on the screen.

I'd suggest adding a view->CRC and a context menu entry on the table-header (like
for the size column in kmail) and disable the view by default.
Just removing the item will sure make some users mad.

> Issue 2: Splitting filename and path
> 	Currently, filenames and paths are displayed together in a "Filename" column.
> 	I'm consider splitting them into separate columns. What do you think about
> 	this?

I don't think this is a good idea since the implications are bigger then what you
seem to assume.
It is usefull (for example) to click on the directory-line and press extra to only
extract that directory. Drag&Drop also works like that.  And that is where things
get sticky; what do you extract when the user drags the directory part out of an
ark window to konq?

I'd rather suggest a (collapsable) tree; your suggestion for issue 2 will make
things worse; not better.

--
Thomas Zander