List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: konqueror menu structure.
From:       Sébastien_Laoût "\[temporar\]" <les83plus () free ! fr>
Date:       2004-09-01 18:28:47

Le mer 01/09/2004 à 17:20, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri a écrit :
> What's the meaning of: File->New Window? Open a file in new window? What? The
> behaviour is more like: Konqueror->New Window since you Open a new Konqueror
> window.
>
> Could someone explain the reason for the File and the lack of "Program Name"
> other than legacy from windows world?
>    Could we put it in the guideline?

I have, but not a strong one:
Because "&File" entry have Alt+F accelerator.
Like "&Edit", it's always Alt+E in every app.
Each time I launch Konqueror in browser mode, I tend to press Alt+D to
go to the address bar (my primary browser, Firefox, use Alt+D, as a lot
of other browsers).
But in french the "Location/File" menu is translated to "&Document".
So, my Alt+D open the "Location/File" menu and I should press Escape and
remember that I must press Alt+R (for "U&RL").

Yes, it's *sometimes* more logic to have the app name instead of File,
but I prefer consistency, just IMHO.
And some app names could do not have accelerators if they are all used.