List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Allocating a virtual desktop automatically [was: thoughts on
From:       Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <gustavo () gsbarbieri ! sytes ! net>
Date:       2004-09-01 14:19:40

On Tuesday 31 August 2004 20:47, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 September 2004 01:35, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> > Some points:

> >  - There should be no hack to group windows, it should be explicity said
> > by the app. Since one of the most benefited from it is apps that need
> > grouping, The Gimp, you need to talk to them and specify a way to inform
> > this property.
>
> Right. But checking for overlapping windows is a good heuristics. I am
> implementing it now in my taskbar.
>
> I mean:
>  if N windows have the same pid, then
>      if they don't overlap with each other
>         use only one button in the taskbar
>      else
>         use one button per window

Ok, but maybe something else to explicity state: "I want my windows grouped"
or "I want this subset of windows to be grouped", since you want all
toolboxes and just one app (image window in gimp) window to be shown, not
every toolboxes AND every app (image window in gimp).

Well... maybe the wm should only provide the facility to raise grouped
windows, then gimp should request for group its toolboxes and when some app
window (I mean the window the image to be edited is in) it (gimp) request the
toolboxes to be raised too. Something like:
 1) User click on Gimp toolboxes group: Bring them to front + last app window
 2) User click on gimp app win: Bring it to front + toolboxes

> > Now one idea I just had (maybe it's foo): what about one virtual desktop
> > for each menu subfolder
>
> Sorry, what is a menu subfolder? Of which menu are you talking about?

I mean kmenu, you have "Internet", "Multimedia", "System", "Utilities"... apps
from these submenus could open in a new virtual desktop with the same name.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri