List:       kde-usability
Subject:    thoughts on taskbar, apps and windows grouping
From:       Ra1n <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2004-09-01 10:54:21

Reading the last two threads on the subject I've started thinking about
some possible solutions, and in all my thoughts there is a constant
presence....Apple, let me explain, It think that exposè is a good thing,
but I find it too expensive in terms of resources, and too much
eye-candy, but the concept it's wonderful, so why don't we:

1. remove the taskbar
2. enhance the Alt-Tab dialog

The first point seems obiouvs so let's start from the second:

The alt-tab dialog it's already a good way to cycle throught windows,
but if we make it persistent(so it won't disappear when you remove your
hand from the keys) with icons bigger than 22x22, give to it another
keybinding (maybe leaving alt-tab for windows cycling) add application
grouping (for multi windows apps like the Gimp) and this seems to me a
good windows chooser that can easily replace the taskbar, also it could
be possible to add a button on the kicker that opens the windows-chooser
instead of a keybinding (if you don't like keyboards :-D ) maybe coupled
  with the show desktop button.

There is still to deal with virtual desktops, I've got several ideas in
mind, show only the current desktop, show all desktops, show some
buttons with desktop number/name on it, maybe all of these, and let the
user configure it, i don't know.....

Comments are welcome

Byez

Luca