List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Allocating a virtual desktop automatically [was: thoughts on
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2004-08-31 23:47:50

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 01:35, Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 August 2004 19:55, Maurizio Colucci wrote:

> > > even this isn't correct, due to konqi's (and other apps') ability to
> > > have multiple document windows within the same instance, though this is
> > > generally transparent to the user.

> > > please see my reply to your posting on kde-devel for alternative
> > > thoughts on how to do it.
> >
> > I hope there is some other way to tell...
> > I'll try to understand the other way you proposed on kde-devel.
> >
> > However, as a last resort, we could check if the windows overlap! If they
> > do, then probably they are not meant to be viewed together, so we put
> > them in the taskbar. If they don't, we group them in the same taskbar
> > button. Not bad.
> >
> > > the only thing i'd add here is what about the use case where you wish
> > > to use the taskbar to switch to one of the non-document gimp windows?
> > > this is a fairly common case because they get hidden behind other
> > > windows fairly easily.
> >
> > No problem here. As we said, the new taskbar would only show one "gimp"
> > button. But as soon as you click the button, ALL THREE gimp windows are
> > brought on top. (this is automatic if kde has created a virtual desktop
> > for them, otherwise we just put the necessary logic in the taskbar applet
> > to bring all 3 on top).
>
> Some points:
>  - From what I saw in macos (quick look) it does this kind of stuff: when
> you select photoshop every toolbar is bring to top. This is a really cool
> idea using this kind of app (gimp, ksirc, kopete, ...)

This worms my heart :-)

>  - There should be no hack to group windows, it should be explicity said by
> the app. Since one of the most benefited from it is apps that need
> grouping, The Gimp, you need to talk to them and specify a way to inform
> this property.

Right. But checking for overlapping windows is a good heuristics. I am
implementing it now in my taskbar.

I mean:
 if N windows have the same pid, then
     if they don't overlap with each other
        use only one button in the taskbar
     else
        use one button per window

>  - I don't like the new workplace idea... Imagine you want gimp open and a
> webbrowser you want to base your work on... if you put gimp on a exclusive
> virtual desktop you cannot see the browser!

Agreed. Creating a new workspace is not necessary: it's enough to just bring
all the windows on top. Also easier to program. Good example btw.

> Now one idea I just had (maybe it's foo): what about one virtual desktop
> for each menu subfolder

Sorry, what is a menu subfolder? Of which menu are you talking about?

--
Maurizio Colucci
http://logicaldesktop.sourceforge.net