List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Allocating a virtual desktop automatically [was: thoughts on
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2004-08-31 22:55:48

On Wednesday 01 September 2004 00:42, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> On August 31, 2004 15:53, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> > "Ok, but at least let's make the taskbar a list of application
> > instances."
> >
> > You may think this is already possible, with taskbar grouping. This
> > fooled me for a while, but it isn't correct: taskbar grouping groups all
> > the instances of konqueror into one button. Instead, we want a button per
> > instance.
>
> even this isn't correct, due to konqi's (and other apps') ability to have
> multiple document windows within the same instance, though this is
> generally transparent to the user.

> > What about it?
>
> please see my reply to your posting on kde-devel for alternative thoughts
> on how to do it.

I hope there is some other way to tell...
I'll try to understand the other way you proposed on kde-devel.

However, as a last resort, we could check if the windows overlap! If they do,
then probably they are not meant to be viewed together, so we put them in the
taskbar. If they don't, we group them in the same taskbar button. Not bad.

> the only thing i'd add here is what about the use case where you wish to
> use the taskbar to switch to one of the non-document gimp windows? this is
> a fairly common case because they get hidden behind other windows fairly
> easily.

No problem here. As we said, the new taskbar would only show one "gimp"
button. But as soon as you click the button, ALL THREE gimp windows are
brought on top. (this is automatic if kde has created a virtual desktop for
them, otherwise we just put the necessary logic in the taskbar applet to
bring all 3 on top).

Thanks :-)
--
Maurizio Colucci