List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: misuse/abuse of popup windows - a real-life example
From:       Anne-Marie Mahfouf <annemarie.mahfouf () free ! fr>
Date:       2004-08-31 20:30:07

Hi,

> Perhapse the interface can be *completly* redesigned and just present a
> virtual keyboard to the user (each keys are buttons)...
like KTouch for example? But what about keyboard layouts for cyrillic for
example?
> Then, the user just have to click the buttons to enter letters and the
> lineEdit issues are solved (if the letter is accepted by the game as
> soon as it is pressed and then dissappear from the lineEdit, it could be
> as confusing as needing to press Enter, IMHO).
> In this case, those buttons could be checked in red for Missed, or
> rounded in green for good chars: the feedback is immediate and at the
> position where the cursor/eyes is/are.
>
> *PossibleImplementation: render the character in a pixmap, then apply an
>  icon of round/check if needed)
I don't understand what you mean.
> *Question: Should the buttons disabled when clicked?
>  If yes, a special QIconSet should be programmed to avoid the icons
>  to be shaded when disabled
Don't understand either.
> *Another improvement for non-mouse users can be to add a lineEdit too
>  (disabled by default) than check if the letter is valid (ie. not '.',
>  '_'...))
>
> And the special characters toolbar could become another row of buttons.
> In french toolbar, I only have 'é' and 'è'. I suppose the words to be
> guessed only have those special characters, but in the lineEdit, I can
> enter 'à' or '@' for example, without feedback this is useless for me
> because no word have those letters.
>
> The buttons would solve this problem too (if I could not press a button
> 'ç', it's because there is no word with this character, which the actual
> interface accept and make me loss one letter for nothing. In non-english
> languages it's difficult to guess if all special characters are accepted
> or not, or if accents should be removed or not (ie. enter 'e' instead of
> 'é'...)).

don't make it too easy by leaving only the possible letters for the user ;-)

I would prefer NOT redesign everything at this stage (i.e. for 3.4). There's
too little time. A mock-up of your proposal would be nice so I could
understand it better.

Anne-Marie