List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: An alternative to the kde taskbar
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2004-08-31 20:18:36

Dne út 31. srpna 2004 22:07 Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri napsal(a):

> > > there is the overhead to file windows in the right desktop.
> >
> >  Which greatly pays off, and IMHO more than your taskbar. But I agree
> > there is some overhead, and that's apparently a blocker for many users
> > :(. I'm afraid having it code automatically would require a really huge
> > neural network.
>
> Not really...  If kwin allows me to save the window to some desktop (like
> windowmaker and many others do) it would be easy to keep the desktop
> organized in workspaces... {Kmail, Kopete, Akregator} -> networking,
> {Emacs, konsole} ->development, ...
>    It's not possible in kde3.2

 Of course it is. First of all session saving keeps windows on their virtual
desktops, but the thing you probably mean is showing even new windows on the
desktop assigned to that application - that can be achieved using the 'Save
window settigs' option in the Alt+F3/Advanced menu (at least I think that's
the name and location - I don't have 3.2 anymore).

 The 3.2 implementation is not that good though, you can either remember all
settings or none. In 3.3 you can specify that you want only desktop to be
affected, e.g. : On any KMail window, Alt+F3/Advanced/Special window
settings, specify that you want to match only window class (whole
application), confirm, go to the Geometry tab, activate the desktop entry,
select how you wish the setting to be applied, and select you favourite
virtual desktop for all KMail windows. Bingo, done.

 That's still not what I'd call code doing it automatically though.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 KDE Developer