Hmm.. I would definitly highlight the letter in the "Misses" section. I havnt seen the interface changes you have been working on but is there anywhere below the hangman image box for an additional label such as "You have already guessed the letter 'a'."? This would only appear until the next letter is guessed. I had a few ideas on how to reorganize the interface, such as listing the wrong guesses vertically on the left, giving more room for the hangman image box, or listing them above the "Letter" text box and moving the word to be guessed closer to the image. Just some thoughts. On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:10:22 -0400 Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote: > Hi, > > > bad examples of popup windows: > > displaying information which is better organized on the document which > > created the popup. displaying information which would result in popup > > windows on a constant basis, such as a popup for a bad guess througout a > > game. > > Ok, I have an example of that. The KMessageBox (that's the developer name for > the widget) that pops up each time you guess an already guessed letter in > KHangMan. > For example, you enter 'a', either it's in the word or in the Misses section. > So the 'a' goes somewhere, something happens in the game. > You enter 'a' a second time and you have the intrusive popup that will > disappear after hitting Enter or clicking OK. This popup tells you you > already tried that letter. > I agree that it is intrusive. > The question is: how do we alert the user that the letter has already been > tried? Maybe highlight the already guessed letter a special way and leave it > for a few seconds? The statusbar is a bit crowded to add another label. > Another possibility is to do nothing (is it necessary to tell the user that > the letter has already been guessed?) > I am very interested in suggestions here to get rid of that popup :) > I do hope this discussion will carry on based on that real-life example and > then maybe we can try to write down more generally when these messageboxes > are used and how to avoid them. > > Anne-Marie > _______________________________________________ > kde-usability mailing list > kde-usability@kde.org > https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-usability -- http://www.obso1337.org/ _______________________________________________ kde-usability mailing list kde-usability@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-usability