List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: An alternative to the kde taskbar
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2004-08-31 17:51:49

Dne út 31. srpna 2004 15:15 Maurizio Colucci napsal(a):
> On Tuesday 31 August 2004 14:36, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> > Dne po 30. srpna 2004 01:38 Maurizio Colucci napsal(a):
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have written a replacement for the kde taskbar. It is optimized for
> > > who keeps many windows open at a time, especially many konqueror
> > > windows, and doesn't like to use virtual desktops.
> >
> >  Hmm ... isn't it exactly the point of virtual desktops to help with many
> > windows open? And they let one group windows, which no recent usage
> > feature can provide.
>
> there is the overhead to file windows in the right desktop.

 Which greatly pays off, and IMHO more than your taskbar. But I agree there is
some overhead, and that's apparently a blocker for many users :(. I'm afraid
having it code automatically would require a really huge neural network.

> > > If you are that kind of person, you might want to give it a try :-)
> > >
> > > Its main feature is that it sorts the windows like ALT+TAB. This
> > > greatly diminishes the average search time.
> > >
> > > Another feature is that it's very easy to toggle between two windows.
> >
> >  And since both of these things happen to be features of Alt+Tab, what
> > exactly should be the advantage of this?
>
> 1. it's not very pleasant to keep a hand on the keyboard just for that

 You have two hands, don't you? Or you have a special double-handed mouse ;) ?

> - 2.
> if the window is not recent, it is not pleasant to press tab many times.

 It's not. But you solution doesn't seem to help much with that, at least
according to the screenshot you posted.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 KDE Developer