List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Thoughts on applications and windows
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-08-31 16:33:34

On August 31, 2004 9:40, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> Example: each time I need synaptic, I have first to ask myself "is synaptic
> open or closed?". If it's closed, I have to look for it in the recent apps
> list (K-menu); if it's open, I have to look for it in the window-list (or
> taskbar). The result is that I have to always scan two lists: I cannot
> directly click synaptic from the recent apps list, because if it were
> already open, a duplicate would be created, which would be wrong.

and for the apps where it's perfectly normal and desirable to have more than
one window of it open? there are use cases where launching it again from the
kmenu is valid. we could say that all apps should have a "New Window" or
corresponding action, but that's the samea s saying:

> Now, if all apps correctly used KUniqueApplication, or similar, the problem
> would not exist. But they don't...

so this is an application bug, one we can't work around without knowing the
specifics of each application. perhaps a different approach would be to
supply an entry in .desktop entries that denotes whether another instance of
the application should be started up or not when selected and already running
once. of course, you'd have to be careful not to label apps that one may
USUALLY want a single copy of running as unique =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric