List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: misuse/abuse of popup windows
From:       Celeste Paul <seele () obso1337 ! org>
Date:       2004-08-31 14:36:26

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:24:55 -0500
Matt Rogers <matt@matt.rogers.name> wrote:

i am trying to define or come up with a label for popup windows which are not message \
boxes, configuration dialogs.. that sort of thing. the defined popups work well.  its \
the abuse/misuse of popup windows with no purpose that needs to be controled in the \
HIG so the application is organized better and behaves in a way the user expects.

also, i do not consider popup windows to be a new document created by the application \
in a SDI.    example: when creating a new email message, a new window appears to \
write the message.  this is not a popup, it is a new document.

more examples of good popup windows that do not fit in the message \
box/configuration/dialog categories of popups:  high scores window

bad examples of popup windows:
	displaying information which is better organized on the document which created the \
popup.  displaying information which would result in popup windows on a constant \
basis, such as a popup for a bad guess througout a game.

http://www.obso1337.org/