List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Thoughts on applications and windows
From:       dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de
Date:       2004-08-31 7:42:43

> > This paradigm forces the user to be aware of which apps are open and
which
> > ones are closed. Could the user be spared this? Why can't we give a
single
> > list of apps (i.e. only the k-menu)?

> the kmenu can have dozens or even hundreds of entries while people work
with a
> limited number of applications on a regular basis. the kmenu is a place to
> find programs, regardless of usage. if we had 10 apps on our desktops your
> idea may work, but we don't.

> also look to MacOS X's dock which does not distinguish between "shortcut
> icons" with "running apps" and how many users experience problems with this
> approach which is similar but far less radical than your own.

With the appplications:/ io slave I think it would be possible to get rid
of the KMenu, even if I have not done this for myself.
To browse _all_ installed software on your system, you can use the
applications:/ URL and use Konqueror, with its multiple view modes.

You can replace the KDE bar with its modules by a more "simple" but
"fancy" bar, which holds only the application _i really need_.
Think Mac OS X here.

The remaining problems are things like the system tray.

Regards
Dirk