List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Thoughts on applications and windows
From:       Sébastien_Laoût "\[temporar\]" <les83plus () free ! fr>
Date:       2004-08-30 19:36:17

Le lun 30/08/2004 à 18:52, Maurizio Colucci a écrit :
> Why must the user scan a list of _applications_ when the app is closed, but a
> list of _windows_ when it's open? Wouldn't it be better to have a list of
> open _applications_ instead of the taskbar?
>
> The problem is apparent with applications that span more than one window (e.g.
> gimp).

The "problem" is already solved: activate the task grouping and you will
have a list of openned applications (and a "sub-list" of windows).

But I'm not sure it's a great idea, I hate that feature.
And GIMP problem can easily be fixed by making the additional windows
toolboxes.
As inkscape do really good (but with bugs).

And if we take the KDE paradigm: one window = one document, it's better
to have a list of documents. Applications are just "tools" to achieve
things. If everything would be in one application the user doesn't care.
In fact it, it's what LogicalDesktop does.

The problem (if there is one), is that nowaday more and more
applications come with tabs (what I love), so that paradigm should be
revised.

> 2.
>
> Suppose we do the change, i.e. implement a "list of open apps".
> So, the user has a list of closed apps (the k-menu) and a list of open apps.
>
> This paradigm forces the user to be aware of which apps are open and which
> ones are closed. Could the user be spared this? Why can't we give a single
> list of apps (i.e. only the k-menu)?

Only the KMenu ?
:-D
You have a lot of ideas. Some goods (LogicalDesktop), and some others
less, IMHO!
I wouldn't imagine to browse the windows in the hierarchy of the KMenu.
Even if it remove me the opened/closed applictions.
Taskbar entries just need one click.

Or perhapse I misunderstood that point.

About the LogicalDesktop's taskbar replacement:
Than can be a cool idea.
Perhapse the two tasks buttons could be bigger and have texts (in fact,
act identically to the current taskbar).
Is the number or windows configurable?
I would put 3 or 4 windows... but I'm used to work with a lot of
windows.

Cheers,

Sébastien Laoût.