List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Thoughts on applications and windows
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-08-30 19:08:00

On August 30, 2004 11:58, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> if window=task, then the question could be reversed: why is the k-menu a
> list of apps instead of windows-tasks?

yes, this is a limitation of the kmenu. the idea is that an application == a
task, but you can be doing more than one of those tasks at a time. we fall
down here because we don't present it task-based and we often offer multiple
apps per purpose, though some modern distros are limiting this to "one task,
one app" (c.f. SUSE 9.1 personal edition)

> > the kmenu can have dozens or even hundreds of entries while people work
> > with a limited number of applications on a regular basis.
>
> This is a non-issue with the "recently used apps" list.

if we wish to duplicate the taskbar in the kmenu then sure, it's a non-issue.
but it's simply locating them closer together and ruining part of the
ergonomics of the taskbar (menu that needs to be expanded vs single click
always exposed buttons). which is why MacOS X combines their equivalent of
our kicker buttons and our taskbar (preserve the ergonomics of each), but
also why it has usability problems =)

> > the kmenu is a
> > place to find programs, regardless of usage.
>
> That's why it offers a "recently used apps" list ? ;-)

convenience, of course =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric