List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Thoughts on applications and windows
From:       Aaron Seigo <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-08-30 17:42:09

On August 30, 2004 10:52, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> Why must the user scan a list of _applications_ when the app is closed, but
> a list of _windows_ when it's open? Wouldn't it be better to have a list of
> open _applications_ instead of the taskbar?

because users don't think in terms of applications, they think in terms of
tasks which translate to windows. furthermore, there are logistic problems:
if you have one process that has multiple windows open on multiple desktops
which window do you switch to when picking that app?

unless every application has exactly one window this concept of "open
applications" completely falls apart, for more than one reason.

> This paradigm forces the user to be aware of which apps are open and which
> ones are closed. Could the user be spared this? Why can't we give a single
> list of apps (i.e. only the k-menu)?

the kmenu can have dozens or even hundreds of entries while people work with a
limited number of applications on a regular basis. the kmenu is a place to
find programs, regardless of usage. if we had 10 apps on our desktops your
idea may work, but we don't.

also look to MacOS X's dock which does not distinguish between "shortcut
icons" with "running apps" and how many users experience problems with this
approach which is similar but far less radical than your own.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
Society is Geometric